Hello, this is my firts message to cooker, i have the Highpoint hpt 372
ata133/raid controller integrated into my Abit mobo. Currently i have
been running Mandrake 8.2, but it will kernel panic during initial
hardware detection if this controller
is enabled in BIOS.....so i have taken the hdd's off of it and shut it
off in BIOS and have been running off the regular IDE channels.

I recently tried to install 9.0b1 to investigate the status of hpt372
compatibility since i've read 2.4.19 has fixed this issue.

With drives connected to hpt372 controller i proceed with install of
cdrom. Intial hardware detection seems to proceed ok, all drives
recognized properly....no kernel panic yay! Proceed through initial
install to 'security level selection' screen, complete it, ready for
'partition screen'.........

1) with drives on hpt372 the install hangs for 2-3 minutes prior to
partition tablle section coming up.

2) once screen comes up, only the master drives on each channel present
in tabs, i had one slave drive too but it 'no shows'.

3)****** most importantly*******  old partitons show correectly but i am
unable to write new partition table to drive, no matter what i try

...so i can't proceed with install no matter what i try. All hardware is
ok and properly  configured. If i move drives to IDE channels, i can
install..even with hpt372 enabled in bios.....all above troubles
dissappear.

So, it appears there is some minor gltich that is preventing writing to
drives on hpt372 controller.

Note, i am not attempting to use raid functions, i just want to use
these two extra drive connectors found on the hpt372 as normal
independent hdd's.

So, what is the status of hpt 372/374 support in 9.0, is it being
addressed??

Thx for any help.

Andy.