I have an old SoundBlaster ISA card.  The configuration during install
told me to run sndconfig after install, which I did.  It found no PCI or
PnP devices, and asked if I had an ISA card.  I replied YES, and it
displayed correct choices for I/O port, interrupt, etc.  It then failed
with a modprobe error on sound-slot-0 trying to load sb.o.gz

The /etc/modules.conf had nothing at all in it for sound.  I added
          alias sound sb
to /etc/modules.conf and tried again, and it worked.  After it finished,
it had removed my "alias" line and added several of its own.