Does Mandrake 9.0 have in-built support for the Promise PDCxxxxx series of RAID
chips, in either ATARAID or (especially) UDMA100 mode? Many motherboards include
them nowadays, and it is not uncommon for people to place their hard drive(s) on
the PDC controller and leave the standard IDE for removables like a DVD drive.

My system has such a controller, and I've placed one HDD on that chip and
another on the standard IDE. When I try to boot with the Mandrake 8.2 CD, only
the drive on the standard IDE is detected. The other is inaccessible unless I
compile a kernel with PDC support, which is a shame since I wanted to install to
that drive (and I can't compile a kernel without installing). Also, I have a CD
drive on the PDC controller, and the Mandrake 8.2 CD can't boot off it.

Note that I'm not asking for help here, I'm just detailing a scenario that will
become increasingly common over time.

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

        "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers"
                -- Thomas J. Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943.