On Sat, 10 Aug 2002 03:04:51 -0400, Eugenio Diaz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
>
> >I have a few questions regarding the Enterprise Volume Management System
> >(EVMS)[http://evms.sourceforge.net/]. By the looks of it, it seems to be like
> >LVM but better, right? What does everybody think of it? The developers say it
> >is ready for production -- any thoughts on that? Will it be included in
> >Mandrake 9.0?
> >
> I think this is a great idea! It certainly looks like excellent
> software. And even though I think LVM works good,  honestly the current
> setup of a relatively simple LVM rigs is, well, awful, especially during
> the install. For example when I did my latest install around two months
> ago, I had to go through tens of  reboot/re-read table cycles to get my
> LVM+RAID setup going (I think I finally decided to do it manually from
> the console and then reboot and continue the install), because the
> install tool kept craping out if you did something like removing a
> volume or whatever. Granted this probably was mandrake's install
> software fault and not LVM, but since EVMS provides a single interface
> to disk partitioning, logical volumes, and filesystems setup, wouldn't
> it be nice if it was included on the install as an alternative or
> "advanced" disk setup tool (much like you could choose between diskdruid
> or fdisk with earlier releases of RH).

I decided to try out EVMS myself on my Gentoo 'play-station' (I didn't want to
risk messing-up my Mandrake workstation). Gentoo makes this simple by already
including EVMS in their kernel. I hear that Debian has done likewise in 3.0 (and
we all know how conservative those Debian folks are). All I had to do was enable
EVMS, disable LVM and software RAID, and recompile. A few minor changes to
/etc/fstab were necessary as well. Upon reboot, EVMS automatically detected my
RAID0, RAID1 and LVM volumes and set them up correctly.

I really think that EVMS can replace normal partitions entirely, and that
Diskdrake should set them up by default (the EVMS developers have made an API
for programming such things) for both home and server systems. It's just that
good :)

--
Sridhar Dhanapalan

"So we went to Atari and said, 'Hey, we've got this amazing thing, even built
with some of your parts, and what do you think about funding us? Or we'll give
it to you. We just want to do it. Pay our salary, we'll come work for you.' And
they said, 'No.' So then we went to Hewlett-Packard, and they said, 'Hey, we
don't need you. You haven't got through college yet.'"
  -- Steve Jobs on attempts to get Atari and HP interested in his and Steve
       Wozniak's personal computer.