Thanks Ryan,

It worked ... As you say who knows why?  I would never have thought to try this.  Why the problem just in swat and not webmin or cups??  Hum ... thanks again.

Ryan Rusaw wrote:

Check your /etc/hosts file. Changing the line that read

127.0.0.1        localhost.localdomain        localhost

127.0.0.1        localhost        localhost.localdomain

fixed this problem for me. Whether or not this is the way is "should" work
is beyond me.

kim marshall wrote:

I sent the following to mandrake.expert a couple of days ago and was
advised there to forward this to cooker.

Installation went well (beta 2).  I am still getting use to the new
look and feel of KDE 3.   I know it is not much different but there
are enough differences to slow me down.  For instance by default
Konquour, by default, does not show the Menu Bar when viewing the
users home directory.  It took me a bit to remember that "Ctrl M"
would solve this issue.  I never worked with out this in the past.

At the moment there are two issues that are giving me the most trouble.

1) The Mandrake Configuration tool is not working well.  It is very
slow!! Some sections never seem to open at all.  I can not get in to
UserDrake from this tool and SMB shares never open.  Several other
areas seem to have problems too!

2) Trying to solve this problem using Swat I get the message:

An error occurred while loading http://localhost:901/:

Connection to host localhost is broken

I can ping any box on my net including localhost but I cannot see them
via Konquour.  The network is up and functional.  In fact I get the
default Apache message at localhost and I can configure cups at
localhost:631.  I copied the smb.conf from my Mdk 8.2 install which
was working flawlessly.  I am sort of at a loss as to were to go from
here. I have not tried Gnome yet to see if similar things occur there.

Thanks for any suggestions.

OK .. I am even more confused now that I have more information.  As I
say above swat is not functioning.  It returns an error about localhost
being broken.  But get this I can do swat indirectly through the webmin
utility.  This seems very odd to me.  Obviously they are both using
localhost just different ports.  I even checked  /etc/services and swat
is assigned to port 901 as is typical.  So what gives??

Regester Linux user #264340
Mandrake Linux 9.0 beta2 - Kernel 2.4.18-22mdk
XFree86 4.2.0 - KDE 3.0.2 and Gnome 2.0