Ok,

ran kudzu both from cli and on subsequent boots, both without problem.

tried harddrake2 with kernel-linus (2.4.19), it still hung with the same
error messages ;

sbus_probing::main::prom_walk() called too early to check prototype at
/usr/lib/libDrakX/sbus_probing/main.pm line 126
sbus_probing::main::prom_walk() called too early to check prototype at
/usr/lib/libDrakX/sbus_probing/main.pm line 127

Any thoughts?

Jeremy