On Wednesday 14 August 2002 07:43 pm, Gary Greene wrote:
> I very much disagree with that. The one thing that Aurora did well was
> obfuscating the start scripts from the user.
Trying to hide the system internals is dumb.  Besides, Mandrake already boots
in quiet mode.  You don't see almost any messages.  Aurora is far more
cluttered and doesn't look as clean.

> MS Windows splash screen is
> simple for a reason: the common joe user doesn't care that a certain
> subsystem is loading or not. all they care is that it works.

Windows doesn't try to hide scandisk or error messages, most of the time.
Aurora does.  The quiet-mode bootup outputs about as much as Windows.
Besides, aren't we trying to make a better system than windows?

> If fsck,
> kudzu, and harddrake don't know how to behave with the it, find a
> workaround for them.
There is a workaround.  Don't use aurora.

> And saying that we shouldn't care about the startup's
> appearance, then we've religated Linux only to the technological geeks.

We should, but making it look nice doesn't mean making it as dumb as possible.
Most people using Mandrake are usually familiar with their computers, and
don't mind seeing bootup messages.  Showing the user what service is starting
up is necessary, because it shows where slowdowns are and tells them the
system didn't crash.

> We
> should always make sure that the first thing that they see will inspire
> confidence that this is a polished and professional product.

Having a clean _and_ informative bootup screen is a part of that.  Having a
dumbed-down boot screen only shows that the developers didn't want to bother
with making it look nice, and chose to turn off the messages anyway.
--
-- Igor