After a recent update of mozilla off of cooker, I noticed that my java applets stopped
working.  After downloading the src.rpm of mozilla, I found that it is now compiled
with gcc 2.

I honestly believe that it should still be compilled with gcc 3.  The reason why is
that it is time to move forward with the latest stable compiler.  If you continue to
stick with gcc 2, it doesn't give any reason for Sun to post gcc 3 versions of java
and therefore we may be stuck with gcc 2 for years to come.

I do understand that compiling mozilla with gcc 3 breaks some plugins, but I got java
working by using this web page:

http://www.geocities.com/tush/lfs/

It shows how to download, apply a patch to the source and compile java with gcc 3.

I believe if you supply mozilla compiled with gcc 3 on Mandrake 9, vendors will soon
follow suit and support it.  If not, be prepared to supply gcc 2 for many distros to
come.

Ken
--
Kenton A. Groombridge