On Saturday 10 August 2002 12:12, Warly wrote:
> Denis Pelletier <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'm unable to setup my network card through DHCP. My guess is that it's
> > due to the latest initscripts (initscripts-6.87-1mdk, updated yesterday).
> > When booting or if I do a "service network restart" I get the following
> > error: "no link present. check cable?". But if I type "dhcpcd eth0" in a
> > console I get an IP address and everything is ok.
> >
> > Looking through the file /sbin/ifup and
> > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/network-functions the problem is caused by
> > the function check_link_down in network-functions. I don't really
> > understand the logic behind the four cases in the if/fi test for the
> > output of the /sbin/mii-tool command.
> >
> > In my case when I type /sbin/mii-tools eth0 I get:
> > [root@pc184 root]# /sbin/mii-tool eth0
> > eth0: 10 Mbit, half duplex, no link
>
> have you tried with the latest initscripts (initscripts-6.87-3mdk.i586.rpm)
> ?
>
> I changed the check_link_down on the JA Magalon suggestion.

Sorry for the long delay. I just got back from a conference.

Using the latest initscripts (initscripts-6.88-4mdk). The function
check_link_down still returns 1 because /sbin/mii-tool eth0 gives:
[root@pc184 root]# /sbin/mii-tool eth0
eth0: 10 Mbit, half duplex, no link
                            ^^^^^^^
even tough the card got an ip address from the DHCP server. Does the "mii-tool
check" is necessary? My solution for now is to replace the function
check_link_down by

check_link_down ()
{
    return 0
}

I'll try the mii-tool command when my laptop is connected to my hub at home to
see if I also get a "no link".

Denis