Name        : abcde                        Relocations: (not relocateable)
Version     : 2.0.3                             Vendor: MandrakeSoft
Release     : 1mdk                          Build Date: Tue Aug  6 07:58:16 2002
Install date: Tue Aug  6 08:01:03 2002      Build Host: sesamstraat.boetes.org
Group       : Sound                         Source RPM: abcde-2.0.3-1mdk.src.rpm
Size        : 90324                            License: GPL
Packager    : Han Boetes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
URL         : http://frantica.lly.org/~rcw
Summary     : Command-line utility to rip and encode audio cds
Description :

abcde is a front end command-line utility  (actually,  a  shell  script)
that grabs tracks off a CD, encodes them to ogg or mp3 format, and  tags
and names them with data from a CDDB server, all in one go.

This package has nice story about it. It is essentially  a  script.  And
the author made it so that it _only_ works on debian. Howbout  that  for
portable code. I primaraly wanted to run it on OpenBSD, I also  maintain
the OpenBSD port. And for my first attempt to port it I took a good look
at the (check abcde-website) port of the month on NetBSD. The port  that
_only_ ran on NetBSD. Mind you, this is a shell-script.

So for OpenBSD I created a patch with portability in mind.  Wasn't  hard
at all, but I just kept it in mind. So now I ported the port to  an  rpm
and taraa: It works out of the box. Well except for the device name  for
the cdrom. Sorry about that.

Anyway, enjoy abcde.

Groetjes, Han.

ps: I sent my patch to the author, he never reacted even once.
--
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/software