On Mon, 2002-08-26 at 14:16, Frederik Himpe wrote:

> I have set my /etc/X11/XftConfig not to use anti-aliasing for font sizes
> 12 and 10, which works ok in gnome, but OpenOffice.org seems to ignore
> these settings. I have placed a screenshot on
> http://users.telenet.be/fhimpe/anti-alias.png . You see that even fonts
> with these sizes are anti-aliased. Does OpenOffice.org uses its own
> settings somewhere, like Mozilla does, or is this a bug?

It has its own settings, but there's something odd going on. Try Tools |
Options, then OpenOffice.org | View in the window and then the 'Screen
font antialiasing' checkbox and 'from ... pixels' spin box.

Now, in XftConfig, I have no constraints on antialiasing. However, if I
create a document [attached] with 4 lines of text (one 10-point, one
12-point, one 14-point, one 24-point, all in Nimbus Sans L) then set:

OOo anti-aliasing from 8 points - user interface font anti-aliased, all
four text samples anti-aliased [correct];

OOo anti-aliasing from 11 points - user interface font anti-aliased, all
four text samples anti-aliased [I'd expect the 10-point to not be
anti-aliased];

OOo anti-aliasing from 14 points - user interface font no anti-aliasing
[!], 10-point no anti-aliasing, 12, 14 and 24-point anti-aliased [I'd
expect the 12-point to not be anti-aliased as well].

OOo anti-aliasing from 17 points - user interface font no anti-aliasing,
10 and 12-point no anti-aliasing, 14 and 24-point anti-aliased [I'd
expect the 14-point to not be anti-aliased as well].

That the UI font anti-aliasing changes is bizarre, but probably an OOo
design feature which can't (easily) be changed at short notice.

However, the anti-aliasing errors are worth looking at. (That said, the
OOo dialog box says 'from ... pixels', not 'from ... points'; perhaps
there is confusion of units there?)

> Other than that, OpenOffice.org works awesome, Dutch spelling check and
> i18n included!

Agreed :)

Alastair