Olivier Thauvin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

[...]

> > > I think mp3 players MUST be present in commercial editions.
> >
> > Yes, maybe on our proprietary CD's we can include mp3 players,
> > this would sort of fix a bit of the problem (plf/download for
> > people using GPL edition). But I'm not sure there is proprietary
> > mp3 players available "easily" for Linux? As an xmms plugin it
> > would be nice.
>
> For xmms, P. Terjan say me mp3 decoding is done by a plugin. It is not hard to
> separate the plugin in a package alone, and put it in plf. xmms always works
> fine with all other plugins such as ogg, wav, midi...

PLF is not a solution for the main distribution, since first you
need a live connection to the internet, second you need to
install the packages manually because not taken into account by
the install and we can't since it would mean we support/back it.

> Just know I disagree to put free software in commercial distrib, first because
> it's free, second because all contributors will loose access to debugging.

I explicitely refered to proprietary software.

> But if this can help MandrakeSoft to sell distrib and gain money, why not.
>
> A third way is to permit contributors to package for commercial distrib, ie
> poeple who have account on klama.

Commercial == Proprietary when it goes to our CD's in our PowerPack.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/