Todd Lyons ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> Vincent Danen wrote on Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 06:04:01PM -0600 :
> >
> > You're 100% positive on this? Was it on Mandrake you used 4 X's,  or
> > BSD? I've got 7.2 up in vmware for some security  testing  and  just
> > ran "mktemp file.XXXX" and get the  cannot  create  error,  and  the
> > manpage indicates 6 X's.
>
> man mktemp on RH 7.1:
>   The template may be any file name with some number of `Xs'  appended
>   to it, for example /tmp/temp.XXXX. The trailing  `Xs'  are  replaced
>   with the current process number and/or a unique letter  combination.
>   The number of unique file names mktemp can  return  depends  on  the
>   number of `Xs' provided; six `Xs'  will  result  in  mktemp  testing
>   roughly 26 ** 6 combinations.
>
> However, when you try to do less than 6:
> [root@atlantis /root]# mktemp -u fileXXX
> Cannot create temp file fileXXX
> [root@atlantis /root]# mktemp -u fileXXXXX
> Cannot create temp file fileXXXXX
> [root@atlantis /root]# mktemp -u fileXXXXXX
> fileMdioDs
>
> The interesting thing is what happens when you go more than 6:
> [root@atlantis /root]# mktemp -u fileXXXXXXXX
> fileXXsswMeG
>
> I think I just remembered backwards (ie I wanted more than 6 but could
> only get 6).
>
> > I don't think it changed from 7.2 to cooker (ie. from  6  to  4  and
> > back to 6).
>
> I believe you are right.  This is a RedHat-ism it appears.

RedHat-ism *g*

Anyway. The sourcecode in the linux version  is  4  years  old  and  the
source-code from the author is from december 2001  and  contains  a  few
minor improvements which result in better code, the ability  to  specify
other templates and the -t option that results is a direct  use  of  the
tempdirectory.

All in all my recommendation is to upgrade to mktemp 1.4 after mdk 9.0

Groetjes, Han.
--
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanb/software