Michael E. Jaggers wrote:

>On Beta 4 and RC1, when installed on a clean HD, when MandrakeLinux 9
>presents me with the first login screen after the initial installation, I
>am dropped to a command shell login prompt after selecting a user in KDM.
>At this point, I have to login as root and launch KDM manually so I can
>login as a regular user.  Once I do this, I can shutdown the system, and
>on the next boot, all is OK.

In the logs (var/log/messages), roughly at the moment of that first-time KDM shutdown,
can you see similar message:

  localhost kdm[958]: Unknown session exit code from manager process

If yes, then I were also seeing this in beta 4 and it hasn't been fixed
since then.

Details at my webpage:
<http://olo.office.altkom.com.pl/domowa/qa/mandrake/beta4/usage/X_shutdown/>

Best Regards,