It's not over until it's over ...

    n> I forward this to the cooker list.  I wrote to Frauenhofer and
    n> their response is below...

    n> Steve Syatt SSA Public Relations for Thomson multimedia
    n> Statement from Thomson Multimedia, mp3 Licensing

    n> To clarify, since the beginning of our mp3 licensing program in
    n> 1995, Thomson has never charged a per unit royalty for freely
    n> distributed software decoders.

This is not what is explicitly stated at
http://www.mp3licensing.com/royalty/software.html which specifically
states "PC software applications" and says nothing at all about only
applying to applications in the $200 range.

Someone, either Steve or the webmaster, is not telling the whole truth
here, and until there is a sworn or otherwise accountable statement
one way or the other, the only credible document we have to go on is
their website.

btw, Emmett wrote a beautiful Thank-You letter:
http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/openletter.html

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> TeleDynamics Communications Inc
 Business Advantage through Community Software : http://www.teledyn.com