Following my previous attempts to install Beta4,
I downloaded RC1 and tried to get them to install.
I posted a report of my previous attempts, and
all the hardware information is the same as before
so I'll leave it out here, except to say that it's
a Shuttle SV24 with two UDMA drives, a CD burner
and an LS120.

Short version: XFree86-4.2.0-25mdk fails, and I
still get the dreaded mkinitrd failure at
bootloader.pm line 64.

The main difference is in how I burned the ISOs. For
Beta4, I used a Plextor SCSI CD writer, IBM CD-R
media, and xcdroast on a SuSE machine to burn the
ISO. For RC1, I used a Windows Server .NET Beta
(essentially WinXP) machine with an IDE burner
(Same kind as is in my Mandrake target machine)
and Nero 5.5.9.9, writing to Prism brand CD-RW
media. In both cases, the md5sums on the ISOs
checked out OK prior to burning.

With RC1, I started out by trying a "recommended"
install, with no options to speak of. I let the
installer pick the partitioning, filesystems,
and package selections; I didn't change anything,
just made the simplest and most obvious choices,
like letting it use the entirety of hda to install
on.

The process gets through to the package installation,
but things go bad and I get a "Failure installing
XFree86-2.4.0-25mdk.i586, Go on anyway?" dialog.
Checking VC4, I see the following (transcribed
by hand, so typos would be my fault...):

 * getFile xinitrc-2.4.4-67mdk.noarch.rpm:
 * getFile ORBit-2.4.1-2mdk.i586.rpm:
 * getFile libORBit2_0-2.4.1-2mdk.i586.rpm:
 * transactions done, now trying to close still opened fd
 * getFile XXX:
 * bad package XFree86-2.4.0-25mdk.i586
 * opened rpm database for retry transaction of 1 package only
 * rpm transactions start
 * getFile XFree86-2.4.0-25mdk.i586.rpm:
 * transactions done, now trying to close still opened fd
 * getFile XXX:
 * retrying installing package XFree86-2.4.0-25mdk.i586 alone in a transaction
 * opened rpm database for retry transaction of 1 package only
 * rpm transactions start
 * getFile XFree86-2.4.0-25mdk.i586.rpm:
 * transactions done, now trying to close still opened fd
 * getFile XXX:
 * retrying installing package XFree86-2.4.0-25mdk.i586 alone in a transaction
 * opened rpm database for retry transaction of 1 package only
 * rpm transactions start
 * getFile XFree86-2.4.0-25mdk.i586.rpm:
 * transactions done, now trying to close still opened fd
 * getFile XXX:
 * retrying installing package XFree86-2.4.0-25mdk.i586 alone in a transaction
 * opened rpm database for retry transaction of 1 package only
 * rpm transactions start
 * getFile XFree86-2.4.0-25mdk.i586.rpm:
 * transactions done, now trying to close still opened fd
 * getFile XXX:
 * bad package XFree86-2.4.0-25mdk.i586 unable to be installed.

Note that this happens every time I try to install Mandrake 9.0
on this machine. It happened with Beta4 several times in several
different install configurations (same hardware), and it's happened
in RC1 twice now. Always XFree86-2.4.0.

So I say to go ahead anyway, and again I got the dreaded
mkinitrd failure at /usr/bin/perl_install/bootloader.pm
line 64. FWIW, VC5 sez:

  /tmp/imm.o: init_module: No such device
  /tmp/ppa.o: init_module: No such device
  /tmp/floppy.o: init_module: No such device

--Bob Drzyzglua