Hi,

> When I did a fresh install of RC1 + updates, OO seemed to work very well
> under the Japanese locale. However, after I added more fonts to the
> system, OO comes up completely garbled in the Japanese locale.

You mean "add"? I usually get degradation when I remove some fonts
packages. OOo seems to make a mix of why it finds. Read: I know xfs open
various fonts at once, at OOo startup.

> I'd venture to guess that it chose to use some font which doesn't
> support
> Japanese so all non-English text is unreadable.

For the UI, there is "Kochi Gothic" but it is not packaged yet. You can
change UI font in Tools->Options->OpenOffice.org, font substitution,
"Andale Sans UI" -> whatever, for screen only (on top of my head).

Watanabe Mincho from fonts-ttf-japanese is really no usable.

Note that whenever you start up OOo and change the locale (--lang option
or other means like overriding LC_MESSAGES), the default UI font is
changed to mach that locale best, modulus the font is actually there. :-(

If you know other *free* and freely redistributable Japanese fonts in
TrueType or Type1 format, you are very welcome to suggest them.

Bye,
Gwenole.