>what exactly do you mean? even if you don't have Xinerama, it should
>start. Or is it the missing BusID that makes it go havoc?

It doesn't. It will just crash with signal 11... no explination. When
the BusID is listed for both heads (they are the same on my box) the
signal 11 goes away, but it crashes with an error becaise dri is active
on the second head. (even when xinerama is off). So turning dri off
makes X work....

However, since it's not xinerama kdm looks like crap at the login screen
with the second monitor black. when you login 2 desktops are created
under KDE because it sees 2 screens, not a Xinerama... (that might be on
purpose). Gnome has problems placing windows in the middle of the
"desktop" so every window must be manually moved to keep them on one
screen. :(

Is it too much to have a "if dual-head use xinerama" ?

>In auto_install, i can't default on Xinerama since it means no DRI and
>DRI is more often used than Xinerama.

DRI will not work with Dual Head anyway. so no loss. at least with
matrox cards.... (actually you have have dri work for only the first
head, but not the second, but I don't know how todo that... :-P )

>I'm adding an option in auto_install to prefer Xinerama:
>
>$o = {
>  X => { Xinerama => 1 },
>};
>

>>BusID must be set for both heads (they are the same value on my machine).
>>

>this one is weird. In tests i've done it was not needed. Fredl, WYT?

If I don't have BusID set for both heads it will core dump with signal 11.

I can provide core files if needed... ;)

--
Bryan Whitehead
SysAdmin - JPL - Interferometry Systems and Technology