I did a fresh install of 9.0 RC1. And have encountered the following
problems.

1) The problem with DM(Display Manager) being killed off or crashing is
still happening.

2) I tried recording audio with my Sound Blast Live and it is not
recording. This was using the gnome tool sound record. Since I couldn't
get it to work. I pull the sound card out and activated the on board
audio on the mother board ( via-8233 ). I needed to configure my sound
card so I loaded up sndconfig. Which brings us to the next problem.

3) Ran Rpmdrake and selected sndconfig package. It gave me a list of a
few other packages to load. I clicked on OK and it came back with the
following message "Everything already installed ( is this suppose to
happen at all ?)". So I dropped to a bash shell and used the command
line rpm to load the packages. Having installed sndconfig I ran into the
next problem.

4) Running sndconfig came back with error saying my via-8233 was not
supported. I guess sndconfig is not being updated. So I manually loaded
the via-8233 module and the sound still wasn't working. So I decided to
reinstall Mandrake ( I'm getting very good at this ). This came up with
the next problem.

5) When I got to the point of configuring Xfree86 I did the following.

Selected my monitor as Plug'n Play Sony CPD-200SF.

Selected my video cards as a GeForce 2 DDR ( generic )

Select Xfree86 4.2.0

Select a resolution of 1280x960  with 24 bit color.

Did a test on the configuration. Which did not display properly. The
screen was compressed horizontally. About 2/3 the screen.

I click NO to change my resolution to 1152x864 24 bit color and tested
it again. This setting work properly.

I clicked on yes to confirm the settings. Then I clicked on OK. When I
did this the installation program completely skipped the section asking
me if I wanted  X to start at boot.

At the end of the install I rebooted my machine and the system went
directly to a text screen.

I did another install without the process of switching resolutions and X
started properly. I tried the original steps twice to confirm the
problem.

6) With my system up and running I verified that the sound was working
and was able to play music. Which it did. Tried recording and still no
luck.

7) I also tried changing the driver using Harddrake. When I selected the
configure options it gave me a list to 2 drivers. I selected the
emu-10K. I tried that one and it still did not work. I went back to
select the other driver and Harddrake only gave me the original driver
as an option to select. The second driver option had disappeared.

8) I did run into one other problem a while back when trying to upgrade
to 9.0 Beta 2. I ran out of disk space and got the following message.

1677789172 > 125004745

Your system does not have enough space left for installation or upgrade.

The only option was to click the OK button. Which I did. After a few
seconds it repeated the same error. It would be nice if there was a
restart installation button.

9) It would also be usefully if at the end of the install the program
would check to see if the floppy or CD drive contains a disk. On
numerous times I have forgotten to remove the floppy only to find myself
back at the install main start screen. Maybe have a dialog box saying
please remove any floppy or CD disk and click OK when ready.

Thats about it for now. I will try and break more things tonight.

Brent