Thanks for that Vinny.

I eventually found a patch for the 2.4 kernel tree which apparently the
kernel developers are refusing to add to the kernel source. However I
applied the patch to the 2.5.33 source and the ScanLogic USB-IDE bridge
now works perfectly :-)

IDE devices seem to be a real sticking point for the kernel developers !
I had a long e-mail discussion with the maintainer of pcmcia-cs about
why desktop PCMCIA IDE disks simply don't work. He had a similar story
in that the desktop IDE code was "broken as far as adding PCMCIA IDE
devices" and the maintainer of that software was "stubonly refusing to
make any changes". Sad, but true !

Anyway, if anyone else has the same trouble the URL is :
http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/linux/linux-kernel/2002-01/1458.html

Thanks,
Owen

Orginal forwarded as requested :

Hi there!

        For some reason, none of my posts have shown up on the mailing list
lately,
no matter where I send them - so i'll reply directly.

        This may be a dumb thought - but does the drive spin up?  It seems that
the
USB bridge chip in my drive has some kind of command to spin the drive
up or
down. The times when I did not get an entry, and usbview showed the
controller as "unknown".  I just noticed this about 2 days ago.  Booting
the
computer to windows with the drive attached would also sometimes hang
windows
booting.  If I plug the drive in after Windows boots, windows will
recognize
it, and start it up.  Rebooting to linux - and the drive's there!  Checking
with usbview - the device is properly recognised!

        I have NO IDEA why it does this - but those are my observations on the
problem so far.  If you would forward this to the list I'd appreciate
it, too

        Regards,

        Vinny