On Fri, 2002-09-06 at 14:25, H. Narfi Stefansson wrote:

> I thought the whole idea was that this should be automated now. Does the
> 'automated' part only apply to the mounting and not to the unmounting?
> In other words, is this a feature or is this a bug?

It looks like a bug, and I reported it during the 'great mail server
outage' but it appears that that post never got through. So ...

I have a Sony Clie PEG-425T and used to mount its memory stick 'by hand'
from the command line as /dev/sda1.

With the automated facility, under Gnome I see a 'removable' icon on the
desktop (with the rather inappropriate appearance of a hard disk!) but:

i. the icon appears to be stuck there forever and never goes away, even
when the Clie is taken out of the cradle and the PC rebooted without it;

ii. the 'Unmount Volume' command has no effect.

iii. the entry in /etc/fstab looks like

none /mnt/removable supermount
dev=/dev/sda1,fs=auto,--,iocharset=iso8859-15,codepage=850,umask=0 0 0

This looks OK, but doesn't explain the unmounting not happening: I have
to issue umount -a /dev/sda1 from the command line to actually do it.

Alastiar