mandrakeexpert incident 31332 forwarded to cooker.

when replying, please cc this email address:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

----quoted text below----

 mhainal : 08/09 04:33 : Incident created     Trying to
install this on a IBM thinkpad 600x with a Xircom realport2
ethernet 10/100 network card and a Neomagic magicmedia 256zx
video adapter.
At install time after you select all the languages , format
your partitions and select the packages it continues OK with
the install , but after asking for the second cd , it freezes
at that stage . The install does not continue from the second
cd . The cd is readable as I read it in my sun firewall
machine , and also windows can open it up and read the files
( although the format is not understandable, of course ) .
Selecting " I do not have the second and third cd of Mandrake
" option allows you to finish the installation ( restarted
from scratch , see above ) , but it cannot detect the network
card ( " your comnputer contains hardware that require legacy
drivers") or something like this .

The main problem I want to advise you about is that it cannot
detect the screen or video adapter ; and you cannot select
anything from the options given ( 800x600 vga , 1024x...,
default , etc ) as it pumps out an error , about a package
k*.rpm not found . So I have to cancell and after the install
there is no window gui ( gnome or kde ) installed. You only
get the command prompt login . Trying to manually launch a
gnome-session , same error , package not found ...

I hope this makes some sense to you guys ; Overall the
experience was positive and I can hardly wait to see the
final product and a working gui( you know, I come from the
evil world of Microsoft , so for me the gui is important :) )

If you have any advice for me on how to get the gui working ,
please shoot a reply , I would love to play with it a bit ...

cheers

Marius

-----end quoted text-----

--