On Monday 09 September 2002 21:27, Danny Tholen wrote:

> On Monday 09 September 2002 11:20, Henrik Nordhus wrote:
> > I changed back to the ALSA driver for my SBLive, and you're partially
> > right. There are a couple of sliders called 'Bass' and 'Treble' in the
> > mixers, but they do absolutely nothing.
>
> AFAIK, this depends on the speakerset. It only works on your front
> speakers. In addition, alsa supports surround sound and midi.

Found out how to do it. Had to install alsamixerGUI and enable tone there
before adjusting bass and treble would work, not very intuitive, but a case
for the ALSA developers. You guys are right, ALSA sound isn't all that bad
for emu10k1 cards if you just fiddle around with it a bit. The original
suggestion still stands though in a modified way:
Sound-drivers should default to a setting that makes sense on a typical setup,
this includes having tone-control enabled if it is supported. The alternative
is newbies running frustrated back to their windows when their MP3s and
movies sound like crap.

The bug with Konqueror and Netscape plugins still plagues RC2 btw. I see
someone else has reported it too, so I will not repeat the details.

--
      Henrik Nordhus