On Tuesday 10 September 2002 09:41 am, Guillaume Cottenceau wrote:
> tarvid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> [...]
> > >
> > > what difference? what are you talking about? the logs you show
> > > are from a successful installation of the tulip driver, I see no
> > > problem. what's your problem? please be descriptive..
> >
> > The network does not come up
>
> Please give me the logs of the version for which the network does
> not come up.
>
> > reverse name lookup on DNS failed (this succeeds on the 2002-05-09 cooker
> > version)
>
> I'll have a look but the code has not changed.

Which is why I suspect it is the SiS/tulip interaction.

The very same card works on a VIA motherboard

> > Linux Tulip driver version 0.9.15-pre11 (May 11, 2002) (pre10 March 8,
> > 2002 on the version that works)
> >
> > Nor will it come up after a full install
>
> What do you mean? When you reboot the installed system, it
> doesn't work? If it's the case, it's a driver problem, and I
> don't see why you report this as a network.img problem :-(.

The two modules involved are tulip and af_packet but as I said above, they
work on a VIA motherboard

> > As I said in a later email, the tulip card works on a VIA motherboard
> > (DFI AD70) but fails on a SiS motherboard (K7S6A). I was concerned
> > because I have a lot ot tulips in boxes I am planning to upgrade to 9.0.
> > I have relatively few SiS/Tulip combinations and I quietly ordered a
> > couple of VIA motherboards to replace those if I have problems.
> >
> > rc1 installed on VIA/Celeron/tulip without incident.
> >
> > I am content to write off the K7S6A motherboard for a variety of reaons
> > but I did run 8.2 on that board for months without incident.
>
> And if you use latest cooker with 8.2 kernel?

Now that I haven't tried. I had a few ugly disk crashes on the 8.2 kernel
which don't happen on the cooker kernel and I have little desire to revisit
those. I suspect UDMA failure in those cases and cannot begin to prove it.

I have had one Ext3 event on the 9.0 beta1 kernel but I wrote that off to
power failure.

It may be that ECS motherboards deserve their reputation. I was so amazed at
the performance of the SiS boards that I was taken in. Whatever perceived
savings or increased performance is more than offset by the time I lose in
dealing with SiS.

Jim Tarvid