sometimes is very difficult to install linux on a proprietary computer, such as

dell, gateway, etc.,  linux works a little better on clone pc, even some computer

like compaq will not let you do a clean installation of windows, but it will permit

a windows upgrade

 ted b <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Alan Shoemaker wrote:
> I have an 8.2 customer in mandrakeexpert asking this
> question. Does anyone know of this 'Mandrake-acknowledged
> problem' or the answer to his question, 'is this problem
> fixed in distro 9.0'? Thanks.
>
> ----quoted text below----
>
> My homePC is a Gateway with Athlon 650. The
> motherboard model is Kadoka. There is a
> Mandrake-acknowledged problem with all 8.x distros
> using the 2.4.x kernel, involving this board -
> Mandrake have stated explicitly that it will not
> run (basically it installs OK then hangs at INIT
> whatever you do). [snip]

I wouldn't know if this is a "Mandrake-acknowledged" problem or not, I'm
just relating my experience with a similar system

I have a Gateway box with a 1000Mhz Athlon and Kadoka Jabil motherboard.
It exhibited th! e exact same problem he descibed when booting 8.x.
However, 9.0rc2 does work, albeit with the following problems:

(1) While using devfs, the system will hang when I attempt to login as
any user except root. Booting with "devfs=nomount" works around this
problem.

(2) The system also hangs if I try to use the Mandrake control center.

Please note that I have no idea if these problems are in any way related
to the motherboard. (I don't really know enough about Mandrake or Linux
to tell). I just thought he might like to know before attempting to
install 9.0 on similar Gateway hardware.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! News - Today's headlines