    w> On this point there is a XEmacs faq, you can add the -u option

I eventually found this, and then found that I'd set it some long time
ago on my own machine which is probably why I forgot about it.  As an
ardent advocate of "Emacs is for Everyone" (no, I'm not off my rocker)
I'm always in favour of initiatives that make it easier for people to
get started in Emacs ...

    w> I may try to add this option as default as it seems that most
    w> servers do not understand this AUTH command.

If you're taking votes, I'd rather a new Emacs user not be confronted
with esoteric trivialities like ftp -u -n until they are hooked ;)

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - TeleDynamics Communications
 - blog: http://www.auracom.com/~teledyn - biz: http://teledyn.com/ -