I forgot:
(a) There is no trace in the syslog of the "devfs=nomount" boot.
    (the computer had to be turned off)
(b) I have absolutely only installed packages newer than RC2.
    Yes, I did upgrade the menu package (it removed /dev/null).
(c) The dev package is installed.

What could possibly make /dev/null read-only?
Not exactly a good idea for the null device.

  -- Bjarne Thomsen