On Wed, Sep 18, 2002 at 04:36:28PM -0700, J. Greenlees wrote:
> why not with a standard install have it use the guarded versioon, with
> the majority of new Mandrake users coming from a windows environment,
> they won't think there was a performance hit at all, since anything over
> a 1/100 rate will be faster than windows.
> ( just for a test I ran an image through a few functions in corel photo
> paint on my 233 mhz p2 laptop, same image, same functions in corel photo
> paint on my wife's 600 mhz p3 tower under windows.
> there was no appreciable difference in the time to perform the
> functions. therefore the hit wouldn't really affect new users coming
> from windows. they are used to slower functionality.)
> expert install give the option for it or not.

What you're suggesting would require including a bunch of extra
packages.  That is very unlikely to happen.

Again I ask.  If this is so beneficial why has it not be included into
the gcc main?  Even if it was just an option to turn on.

--
Ben Reser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://ben.reser.org

Never take no as an answer from someone who isn't authorized to say yes.