mandrakeexpert incident 32252 forwarded to cooker.

sorry no emailaddress is listed in the mandrakeexpert
database for the originator of this report.

----quoted text below----

 jbuberel : 18/09 11:21 : Incident created
I have a client machine running 9.0rc1. It mounts it's home
directory from an NFS server on the local network. This
appears to be working just fine. I can log into a KDE session
on the client machine without any problems, and my home
directory is mounted correctly.

However, when I attempt to log into a GNOME session on the
client machine, the login sequence stops and reports:

...could not lock the file
'/home/jason/.gconf-test-locking-file'...
...a common cause is that the nfs.lockd service has been
disabled...

Here is the /etc/fstab on the client:
server:/home /home nfsr
w,lock,hard,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,timeo=14,intr 0 0

Here is the /etc/exports entry on the server:
/home 192.168.1.2(rw) 192.168.1.3(rw)

Here is the rpcinfo -p output on the client:
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
100021 1 udp 32768 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 32768 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 32768 nlockmgr
391002 2 tcp 32768 sgi_fam

And here is the rpcinfo -p output on the server:
program vers proto port
100000 2 tcp 111 portmapper
100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
391002 2 tcp 32769 sgi_fam
100011 1 udp 1011 rquotad
100011 2 udp 1011 rquotad
100011 1 tcp 1014 rquotad
100011 2 tcp 1014 rquotad
100005 1 udp 1029 mountd
100005 1 tcp 32770 mountd
100005 2 udp 1029 mountd
100005 2 tcp 32770 mountd
100005 3 udp 1029 mountd
100005 3 tcp 32770 mountd
100003 2 udp 2049 nfs
100003 3 udp 2049 nfs
100021 1 udp 1030 nlockmgr
100021 3 udp 1030 nlockmgr
100021 4 udp 1030 nlockmgr
100024 1 udp 30617 status
100024 1 tcp 3359 status

I have checked the firewall logs, and nothing (TCP or UDP) is
bieing blocked between the two machines. And as I stated
above, the NFS mounting seems to be working just fine for
non-Gnome session logins.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
jason

jbuberel : 18/09 11:51 : More info provided
This looks to be related to a failure in rpc.statd.

The /etc/init.d/nfslock script is configured to run at
startup time. This script should launch both rcp.lockd and
rpc.statd. However, rpc.statd will not start successfully.

When starting rpc.statd manually from the command line, the
following errors are reported:

[root@jasmine root]# /sbin/rpc.statd -F -d
09/18/2002 23:41:07 rpc.statd[0]: Flags: No-Daemon Log-STDERR
09/18/2002 23:41:07 rpc.statd[5199]: Version 1.0.1 Starting
09/18/2002 23:41:07 rpc.statd[5199]: Cannot access current
directory after dropping privs: access()

The reason for this problems is that the default ownership of
files in the /var/lib/nfs/statd directory is 'root', but
statd is configured to run as 'rpcuser'.

Could someone file this as a bugreport? It would be good to
get this fixed in 9.0rc2. or the final 9.0 release.

-jason

-----end quoted text-----

--
Alan