On Thursday 19 September 2002 20:59, Bjarne Thomsen wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 01:52, Bryan Whitehead wrote:
> > Randy wrote:

> > > No, I havn't used NFS on this machine (at least not serving).
> > > I am able to do intense hard drive activity which I thought
> > > was related.  BTW I have a 1024MB stick in it.
> > >
> > > I'll give RC3 a try as soon as I can.
> > >
> > > -Rand
> >
> > I think the lock is nfs/rpc related, so that's why your not getting the
> > lock-up.
> >
> > I'm building a new kernel to test... I'm probably wrong.
> >
> > --
> > Bryan Whitehead
> > SysAdmin - JPL - Interferometry Systems and Technology
> > Phone: 818 354 2903
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> It is clearly NFS/FTP + disk(IDE or SCSI) + HIGHMEM related,
> under heavy load.
> It never happens without highmem.
> It only happens with 2.4.18 and 2.4.19 (maybe 2.4.17) kernels.
> It never happens with the 2.4.8 kernel.
> It is easy to produce with both P4 and Athlon processors.
> You cannot produce it with heavy disk load alone.
>
>  -- Bjarne
remember you always have options, please print and keep handy.  This is a jem
of a tip.  (use konqueror to open the attached file), or use the link and get
it from the source

http://www.mandrakeuser.org/mub/viewtopic.php?topic=9704&forum=8&2

When stuck in a "freeze", your computer will not respond to commands anymore
and input devices like keyboard and mouse seem to be blocked. This is a worst
case scenario and could mean that you have a very severe error in either your
configuration, your software or your hardware. Here we will show you to deal
with this annoying situation.

In the case of a system freeze, your top priority should be trying to
shutdown your system properly. Let's assume you are under X, if so, try these
steps consecutively:
 *
 Try to kill the X server by pressing ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE simultaneously.
*
 Try to switch to another console with ALT+CTRL+F2. If you succeed, login as
root and issue the command: kill -15 $(pidof X) or the command kill -9
$(pidof X), if the first command shows no effect. (Check with top to see if X
is still running).
*
 If you are part of a local network, try to ssh into your machine from
another box. It is advisable to ssh into the remote machine as an
unprivileged user and then use su to become root.
*
 If the system does not respond to any of these steps, you have to go through
the "SysRq" ("System Request") sequence. The "SysRq" sequence involves
pressing three keys at once, the left ALT key, the SysRq key (labeled
PrintScreen on older keyboards) and a letter key.
 *
 Left ALT+SysRq+r puts the keyboard in "raw" mode. Now try the pressing
ALT+CTRL+BACKSPACE again, to kill the X. If that does not work, carry on.
*
 Left ALT+SysRq+s attempts to write all unsaved data to disk ("sync" the
disk).
*
 Left ALT+SysRq+e sends a termination signal to all processes, except for
init.
*
 Left ALT+SysRq+i sends a kill signal to all processes, except for init.
*
 Left ALT+SysRq+u attempts to remount all mounted filesystems read-only. This
removes the "dirty flag" and will avoid a file system check upon reboot.
*
 Left ALT+SysRq+b reboots the system. You might just as well press the
"reset" button on your machine.

 [Note]
 Remember that this is a sequence, i.e. you have to press one combination
after the other in the right order: Raw, Sync, tErm, kIll, Umount, reBoot[1].
You will find more on this feature in /usr/src/linux/Documentation/sysrq.txt.
 *
 If none of the above helps, cross fingers and press the "reset" switch on
your machine. If you are lucky, GNU/Linux will just run a disk check upon
reboot.
By all means, try to find out what causes these lockups because they can do
severe damage to the file system. You might also want to consider using
ReiserFS, a journaling file system included in Mandrake Linux since 7.0,
which handles such failures more gracefully. However, replacing ext2fs with
ReiserFS requires reformatting your partitions.
Notes
[1]