** Reply to message from Felix Miata <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Sun, 22 Sep 2002
18:25:12 -0400

> George Czerw wrote:
>
> > So far, I've noticed the following problems:
>
> > Installation routine for making a bootable diskette does not work.
>
> 'mkbootdisk 2.14.19-13mdk' worked for me in RC3. The routine at the end
> of installation wasn't fixed yet in RC3 iso's.

But I had a SCSI configuration problem with lilo and I needed the bootdisk
BEFORE I could get into 9.0 RC3.

> > Installation did not recognize ISA Crystal Tidalwave Sound Card (CS4232).
>
> The installer tells you to run 'sndconfig' after rebooting. Is that what
> didn't work?

After installation, I simply copied the contents of my old modules.conf
into the new one to configure the soundcard.

However, the point is that if Mandrake is trying to build & market a
worldclass product, then it should also have a worldclass installation
routine that recognizes the appropriate peripheral devices during the
installation routine and installs the correct drivers at that time.  A
newbie would have one heck of a problem figuring out how to handle that.
Besides, if Mandrake wants to draw users away from M$, it better get the
installation routine as perfect as possible, and not tell the user to do
something post-install.

George