I have this same integrated card, and have the same problem.
Have been using the fix for ages and it works fine for me.

-----Original Message-----
From: Svetoslav Slavtchev [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 23 September 2002 16:49
To: cooker
Subject: Re: [Cooker] Anybody using a Chaintech Apogee, and has the
on-board LAN working?

> > via-rhine       : VIA Technologies|VT6102 [Rhine II 10/100]
> > [NETWORK_ETHERNET] (vendor:1106 device:3065 subv:1695 subd:3005)
> >
> > detailed lspci lspcidrake dmesg @
> > {
> > http://varna.demon.co.uk/~svetlio/LSPCI
> > http://varna.demon.co.uk/~svetlio/LSPCIdrake
> > http://varna.demon.co.uk/~svetlio/DMESG2
> > }
>
> Seems to me that it actually recognized as Via Rhine II (in both LSPCI...)
> (didn't see it in the KT333 chipset ducumentation, but ...)
>
> So questions that appear:
>
> Is the Onboard NIC Enabled in BIOS?
> (probably since it turns up in LSPCI, but...)
> (I have a via-rhine nic in one server that I disabled in BIOS,
> but Linux still found it and activated it, so ...)
i guess it is, as i got it up and running in 100Mb
but my local LAN is 10Mb so ...
i found the dmesg with the errors

http://varna.demon.co.uk/~svetlio/RhineETH

and that 2.4.20-pre7(vanilla & ac3) include the fix from lkml
a diff is at http://varna.demon.co.uk/~svetlio/via-rhine.c.diff

> Have you tried to: 'modprobe via-rhine'?
yes i got it running with a lot of errors
but without a connection to the local 10Mb-LAN
see the dmesg