On onsdagen den 25 september 2002 11.13 Buchan Milne wrote:
> Oden Eriksson wrote:

> >>rpm itself, no way, but spec file and patches are available here:
> >>http://cvs.mandrakesoft.com/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/SPECS/perl/
> >
> > I think I meant if some guru had made a script allready that could do
> > this, fetch the files from CVS and then make the src.rpm?

(i was pretty "just-woke-up" when i wrote this, i should at least have my
morning coffey before i speak;))

> IMHO, someone should make a perl GUI for this, where you can browse the
> CVS, and choose to build an RPM from it.
>
> It would of course require:
> 1)*ALL* patches be in CVS. I have tried building kernel RPMS from CVS,
> but some of the patches in CVS don't match the patches in the SRPM.
>
> 2)All sources be 'find-able'. For example, some of the mozilla sources
> (i18n stuff) is hard to find.
>
> But, in the case where the source URL is not complete, it would be
> feasible to lookup the package on Freshmeat (they have an xml-ized
> service available, where one can get the source location:
>
> http://freshmeat.net/projects-xml/samba/samba.xml
> (but this record is old, 2.0.10!).
>
> I have a script that does the real basics of this, just bzip2'ing all
> the patches, copying them to your `rpm --eval %_sourcedir`, and then
> running rpm -ba. It is also appropriate for building from a cvs snapshot
> of the original source, but doesn't help in locating old source (unless
> I can hack it to get an older release from the source cvs). I still need
> to fix it so it will check the package out  of CVS, but it would
> probably be better to rewrite it in perl, with a GUI. There is a
> slightly different and slightly improved version of the script in samba
> cvs (under package/Mandrake).
>
> IMHO, something like this would totally waste the Gentoo crowd (who keep
> saying how good it is to build from source).

Oh, shit! I see the problem. Hmm..., what is the point of using CVS in this
case then when you cannot use it fully? Is it only for viewing spec file
diffs or what?

--
Regards // Oden Eriksson
Deserve-IT Networks -> http://d-srv.com