"Robert Robinson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Mandrake Linux 9 with ASUS P4B533 motherboard and TDK 40/12/48 or
> Creative 12/10/32x IDE CD-ROM.
> CD-ROM starts with auto-boot, displays
> Mandrake install display and multiple initial steps including correctly
> finding IDE hard drives. Message then states that no CD-ROM found and asks
> for SCSI CD-ROM driver. CD-ROM is IDE connected.

Can you copy the messages you can see on consoles 3 and 4?

> (Suggestions/comments from David & Nico in another forum:
> 1) Make sure the cdrw is marked as a cd-rom in the bios/cmos.  Not Auto.
> 2) CDRW drives are recognized as scsi under linux, so the ide-scsi module
>    must be loaded.  If the 1st trick doesn't work try this:
>    a) Instead of hitting enter to continue,press F1 to get to the
>    "prompt".
>    b) type: linux hdb=ide-scsi
>    (change hdb to match you system's configuration)
>    c) Now hit Enter.

"CDRW drives are recognized as scsi under linux" is not exactly
true; and this trick won't work for the install since ide-scsi is
not supported during install.

Actually the trick is here because the burning programs must use
SCSI lowlevel access for burning, it's not to "access" the CDROM
at all. The CDROM is IDE accessible like if it was not a burner.

> Only kind of. The difficulty is that the "cdrecord" program at the root of
> most Linux CD recording software was written specifically for SCSI, and has
> never been *taught* how to handle IDE. Other programs, such as music or
> video playing or auto-mounting software handle an IDE CD-RW just fine for
> such uses.

Ah, you knew it. Sorry.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/