The machine in question is a masq server on the open net. I just happen
to need use the desktop side on occasion.

With no fam or gnome running, I made the change to /etc/hosts.allow.
Same error. If I kill xinetd from a root console while gnome is hanging,
gnome will come up. If I then restart xinetd, the system will hang again
when I start any gnome apps, such as nautilus.

Rich