"Brian J. Murrell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> This is an important goal.  I am sure I am not the only user that
> wants to be able to nfs mount /usr.  Anyone with even a
> medium-to-largish size farm of Mandrake boxes could/should be NFS
> mounting /usr.

yep, good goal i do agree with.

> To this end, I will start with this one:
>
> - drakfont tries to add fonts to /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/drakfont

[and urpmi]

but I still don't get why drakfont and urpmi would need to not
touch /usr (pardon my stupidity if I've still not understood well
the /usr thingy, I've not experience with nfs mounted /usr),
since these are "admin" tools they need to be run on the server
containing /usr as a local disk, so it's correct?

if we continue your reasoning, there is an inconsistency in rpm
anyway since the rpm db is in /var/lib/rpm (local to clients) but
the files installed/removed when this db is changed are in /usr
(distant from clients)..

maybe i've not understood the whole point, i do agree :). but i'd
like to understand.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://people.mandrakesoft.com/~gc/