Now it's happened on our second 9.0 machine: The session was exited
for a reboot, but on coming back up, if you login, you get the
big Gnome footprint, but no status messages appear on the bottom and
it is /hung/.

there are no messages in .xsession-errors, XFree86.log or syslog
/nothing/ has been changed on this machine since the last successful
login, no new hardware, no new software, no configuration changes.

there is one quirk: The machine needed to be rebooted because msec's
hourly process was hung and chewing up CPU cycles; kill -9 would not
kill it, so I advised a reboot.

using a different account on the same machine can login to a Gnome
desktop without incident.  a login under this account but using
sawfish will login without incident (that's what they are using
until I find a fix)

I had /thought/ that I'd fixed this situation on my own machine by
clearing out the .gconf .gconfd .gnome and .gnome2 directories but
this has /no/ effect on this second machine, the login hangs at
the same place.

any guesses are /greatly/ appreciated.

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - TeleDynamics Communications
 - blog: http://www.auracom.com/~teledyn - biz: http://teledyn.com/ -