I have an IBM thinkpad, and I had problems getting everything to work
under Mandrake 9.0.

It turns out the biggest problem was pcmcia using irq3, preventing me
from using the serial port (irq 4 was used by IR port IIRC). I don't
know if there's any way this can be fixed without unnecessarily
reserving irq3.

Then, there are some kernel modules (thinkpad), and some utils (tpctl)
which allow you to enable/disable hardware, and a tool for also
auto-throttling the CPU based on load level (to conserve power, the CPU
is underclocked when not busy). All these tools require the thinkpad
kernel modules.

Would it be possible to have the thinkpad kernel modules in the Mandrake
kernel? Or should I maintain my own RPMs of those for the moment (like
NVidia drivers)?

Files:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tpctl/
(thinkpad=kernel modules, tpctl=user space tools).

If these can go in, I can also take a look at
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/tpb/

Regards,
Buchan