During the beta cycle I was surprised to find Highpoint 370 raid support in
the kernel. So instead of using the "open source" driver I tried the hptraid
module. I installed to a plain disk first, then inserted the modules ataraid
and hptraid. What it gave me was /dev/ataraid/disc0/part1 from what I could
tell in the kernel docs,  it should have been /dev/ataraid/d0p1. No biggie.

Then I rebooted on the installation cd, chose expert and inserted the ataraid
and hptraid modules. The disk partitioning app (diskdrake?) found
/dev/ataraid/d0  I made the three partitions (on raid0 array).
Upon reboot the Hpt bios reports the raid array is broken and the partition
table is wiped out. The raid array has to be deleted and recreated.

So I used the "open source" driver and made partitions and copied the sytem
over, then made a custom initrd and got /,swap, and /home on the raid array.
/boot and lilo are on hda.

I took the 9.0 final release and decided to try an upgrade. Again I chose
expert, installed ataraid and hptraid modules. Came to the disk app and again
I had /dev/ataraid/d0. The partitions were already there so I just told it
ext3 and mount points thinking the partition table isnt going to be touched.
But when I tried to continue it said writing partition table to disk. All I
needed was to format / so it would be clean. I exited and rebooted and sure
enough the raid array was broken again.

Is the mount point or type written to the partition table?

Jack