On Monday 21 October 2002 12:49, you wrote:

> Must admit I had a very similar problem, with the same drive, but with
> SuSE 8.0.  I put it down to a dodgy drive, it had stopped writing some
> weeks earlier.
>
> Maybe there was a bad batch, maybe we should swap seriel numbers and
> sue!

Sorry, I can't join you for that because I know the CD writer is working
just fine. I ended up putting it into my USB 2.0 case enclosure and I can
use it that way without any problems.
Perhaps the bios is buggy, perhaps the bios and mdk don't communicate well
enough, I don't know where the fault is. But I cannot connect that cdrw to
my motherboard or to my PCI controller card because that always results in
lockups. I tried apic, no apic, dma, no dma, master, slave, with and
without scsi emulation, on the mobo, on the controller card and most of
the possible combinations of these...

Narfi.