Is there any reason why the kscreensaver3 pam file is the way it is?

We install our own /etc/pam.d/system-auth file (and, the winbind setup
during install does something similar, copying
/etc/pam.d/system-auth-winbind over /etc/pam.d/system-auth), which works
~ with almost everything, except (as I discovered this morming) the KDE
screen saver.

[bgmilne@bgmilne bgmilne]$ cat /etc/pam.d/kde3
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_nologin.so
account    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
password   required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
session    optional     /lib/security/pam_console.so
[bgmilne@bgmilne bgmilne]$ cat /etc/pam.d/kscreensaver3
#%PAM-1.0
auth       sufficient  /lib/security/pam_linux_afs.so ignore_root
#auth       sufficient /lib/security/pam_linux_afs.so no_unlog ignore_root
auth       required    /lib/security/pam_pwdb.so shadow nullok

Is there any reason why a non-existent (on Mandrake) pam module is used?:

[bgmilne@bgmilne bgmilne]$ urpmf /lib/security/pam_linux_afs.so
[bgmilne@bgmilne bgmilne]$

Could the following not just be used?
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth

That's what xscreensaver does:

[bgmilne@bgmilne bgmilne]$ cat /etc/pam.d/xscreensaver
#%PAM-1.0
auth       required     /lib/security/pam_stack.so service=system-auth
[bgmilne@bgmilne bgmilne]$

(In the end, this means that the biggest issue with winbind on desktops
in a windows domain is the fact that users won't be able to get back
into their machines if they lock their desktop :-( And the same a
applies to LDAP, which is my case).

Buchan

- --