*What if*
On bootup, we check to see if the video card has changed since the last
session, if it has we prompt "press y within the next 10 seconds to
reconfigure your video card or enter to continue" If you press y then
after bootup/init process completes it takes you into a framebuffered
"configuration" session just like during install.

Is this something that could be built into harddrake? I seem to recall
kudzu or some other prog doing this when there was a hardware change
once upon a time (but I haven't run anything like that since MDK 7.0 or
so, I might be mistaken)

If anyone thinks this is a good idea I'd love to help out (although I'm
more of a networking guy than a coder)

Ryan