--- Adam Williamson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Wed, 2002-10-30 at 13:06, David Walser wrote:
>
> > > Uh, in what way is submitting a new package with
> the
> > > change in the log,
> > > and elaborating on the change when asked about
> it,
> > > doing anything
> > > "behind our backs"?
> >
> > Well, given it's one of the huge things that RH
> got
> > criticized for with 8.0, it was obviously going to
> be
> > a controversial thing, and it probably should have
> > been discussed before the fact, rather than, it's
> > done, haha now you suckas have to live with it!
>
> No, this isn't the case at all. The serious

Actually it is.

> criticism of Red Hat is for
> the extensive hacking they did in KDE for the more
> radical aspects of
> their "compatibility" - making it use Pango and
> things like that. These
> are radical internal changes which some people
> contend introduce bugs
> that will be blamed on the KDE project. I don't

Yep, that certainly was a major criticism, the most
important one probably.

> think anyone had a major
> problem with Red Hat simply tweaking the default
> settings of each
> desktop environment - that's the prerogative of a
> distributor of free
> software, after all.

You didn't follow all of the discussion then :o)

Of course, and you're not the only one to point this
out, yes, distributors can change default settings
however they want.  My point is only that they
shouldn't make stupid changes.