--- Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> David Walser wrote:
> > --- Buchan Milne <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >>while ... of course, usually netware servers are
> not
> >>as common, so it may
> >>be more worthwhile to setup pam_mount, but I am
> not
> >>sure if you can pass
> >>the '-A hostname' option via pam_mount.
> >

> > You can, but the problem here is, it's not one NCP
> > share that everybody mounts, it's a different
> share
> > for everybody.
> >

> Ahh, but if it's some logical pattern, you may be in
> luck, since
> pam_mount can use wildcards, so if you have shares
> that match the users
> username (or where only the username part differs),
> then you can
> probably get away with it.

Interesting, I'm probably close enough for no cigar.
For most of the users their Unix username matches part
of the name their authenticating to Novell with.
Those usernames being 3 letters and 4 numbers, the 4th
number is also in another spot in the Novell name.
Finally, some users (faculty) usernames don't match
and have a completely different Novell name.

So far what I've come up with is to make a script
(linked to an icon on people's desktops) that sees if
NCPUSER is set (which they would in .bash_profile if
their Unix name didn't match the beginning of their
Novell name), and if not, set it to $USER.  Then if
NCPUSER is in the format of 3 letters and 4 numbers,
grab that 4th number and make the one type of Novell
name, and if it doesn't match, make the other.  Then
it runs Konq on the mount point, then finally
ncpumounts (after Konq is closed).

For passwords I figured I'd have it pop up a box and
ask for it if it doesn't have it, then save it in a
mode 600 dotfile in their homedir.

Somewhat unrelated question, do you have your users
use supermount (it has problems with CDs in 9.0 no?)
or do you have them use desktop icons to mount/umount
removable media?

Thanks again Buchan.