Weird story.
I put up a page to track the development of Mandrake RPMs for chemistry
applications.  (There were 3 in Mandrake 8.0, there are about 6 in
Mandrake 9.0, I hope to have about 20 in Mandrake 9.1).
http://groundstate.ca/mdk4chem

I told all the authors about the page, and most of them sent back the
weirdest responses, like...
-what is Mandrake?
-why no Java apps?  Java's open-source isn't it?
-what's RPM?

I was really surprised!  Are most developers 5 years behind the rest of
us, or is it only the scientists?  Do people LIKE building stuff from
source, using freakish makefiles, ancient libraries, and static linking?
Austin

--
                        Austin Acton Hon.B.Sc.
             Synthetic Organic Chemist, Teaching Assistant