----- Original Message -----
From: "Gilles Mocellin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Mandrake Cooker" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, November 30, 2002 6:05 PM
Subject: [Cooker] EVMS support in near futur ?

> Is EVMS (Enterprise Volume Management System from IBM) support planned
> in Mandrake kernel ?

Unlikely. EVMS did not make it into the 2.5 development kernel fetaure
freeze, while LVM2 did. The EVMS team subsequently decided to terminate
development of the EVMS kernel patches (although they would continue to
support them for the 2.4 stable kernel) and to port their management tools
to support LVM2. So the days of EVMS are numbered.

In some respects its a shame - I thought EVMS was a better solution since it
tightly integrated logical volumes and software RAID. Howver as I understand
the EVMS kernel patch was *huge*, and duplicated existing functionality, so
I guess Linus' descision was understandable.

Alan