On 1 Dec 2002, Chris Picton wrote:

> On Sat, 2002-11-30 at 22:07, Buchan Milne wrote:

> Isn't the point of the dependencies list inside an RPM that the RPM can
> explicitly, at the time of install, let the user know what extra
> libraries and versions are needed in order for the RPM to work
> correctly.

Read my comment on the bugzilla bug.

> If a RPM installs without any dependency errors, then the user should be
> quite confident that the software will function correctly.  If it does
> not, then the dependency list of the RPM is broken (either the
> dependency is not explicitly mentioned, or the method of getting
> implicit dependencies is incorrect), and should be fixed.

The mothod is correct (ldd). The only thing I can think of is that there
an in compatability somewhere that should have been dealt with upstream by
bumping the major number of the lib. Of course, if we knew which RPMS they
had installed on their systems post 9.0, it might help. I suspect
something to do with libXft2, which isn't in 9.0.

But the point is that this is not a consequential bug. Rebuilding the SRPM
on 9.0 (which would probably require turning off xft support) will result
in a working RPM on 9.0. Upgrading all libs to cooker also works. There is
no way anyone is going to encounter this bug except by running cooker
packages on 9.0. It's not worth it to have Fred  try and track it down. Of
course, someone else could, but their time could arguably better be spent
building mozilla for 9.0, so other people don't try this.

Buchan

(Who will probably settle for mozilla 1.2 without Xft support on 9.0)