>>>>> "p" == Pam Jacobs writes:

    p> gary I have pictures on a disc (not cd) I would like to send
    p> them to my sister.  how do I do this?

A very good question ... because (a) it's not obvious and (b) it's
one of the things that Mandrake broke with 9.0.  I had to turn the
"Supermount" feature off on your machine because it was causing
lock-ups, and until there's a replacement, you're left with doing
the mount/unmount manually.

IIRC what _should_ happen is when you put the disc into the drive, an
icon for it appears on your desktop screen.   Since this is broken, you
have to open a terminal window and enter "mount /mnt/floppy" and now
your disc is just like any other file folder, except that it is based
at /mnt/floppy instead of /home/pam.

Before you _remove_ the floppy, you _must_ do "unmount /mnt/floppy" or
very bad things can happen.

So that gets the machine able to read the floppy disk.  What happens
after _that_ I don't really know.

I've copied your email to the Mandrake developers because it's
probably something someone is already thinking about, or at least they
should.  I'd like to say "you drag it from the Nautilus window to the
Mozilla email window, Mozilla will not accept this.

I just tried opening the Mozilla mail composer and dragging an image
over, but it does nothing.  I opened the Mozilla "attach" screen and I
could drag a Nautilus image over to it, but it ended up with the
absurd (and invalid) location of
/home/garym/file:///home/garym/archive/photos/Kodak/2002-12-05/2002
(probably would work if you corrected the URL to remove the 'file://')

probably what you're left with is to open the Mozilla mail compose
window, select attach, in the "Look in:" selections roll it all the
way to "/", and then pick your way through to the /mnt and then
/mnt/floppy and then to the file you want.

There may be a better way, but this one will work.

You can still contact May or myself when you run into annoying stuff
like this, but you might want to also search on the Mandrake Users
site at http://www.mandrakeuser.org/ just in case it's a common
problem; also, when you post your question there, someone answering
you will also be helping other newcomers who go to mandrakeuser and
search for their own questions.  Open source works best when we all,
even the newcomers, work together to help out each other :)

--
Gary Lawrence Murphy - [EMAIL PROTECTED] - TeleDynamics Communications
   - blog: http://www.teledyn.com/mt/ - biz: http://teledyn.com/ -