Ugh,

I'm switching from my Logitech 3 button "dying mouse" to my new logitech
optical wheel mouse.

It goes like this:

-  If I boot up with my 3 button mouse and then unplug it, and plug in my
   optical mouse, things are sort of happy.

-  If I boot up with the optical mouse, gpm doesn't like it, and it
   "doesn't move" in X.

I've been fiddling and googling for a while now, exploring both GUI tools,
and also command-line config file tweaking.

( Currently, things are set back to "stock", and the Generic PS/2 Wheel mouse
  is selected via "Control Center" )

The details:

  The optical mouse is a USB mouse HOWEVER it has a
  PS/2 adapter and THAT is what I am connecting it with, PS/2
  NOT USB.

  LM9

Potential Complication:

  Belkin KVM switch - distance/signal strength issue ?

Clarification:

  I've heard mention of a utility "imwheel" that does not appear to
  be installed, and it evidently "replaces" gpm.  Is that necessary ?

I am more than happy to capture any esoteric knowledge for posterity
if I can get a couple pointers.

Like, what are the bullet points of the procedure, and I can fill in
the gory details on my own.

?

THX
-AEF