On Thu, 26 Dec 2002 15:18:06 +0100 (CET)
Frederic Lepied <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Name        : XFree86                      Relocations: (not
> relocateable) Version     : 4.2.99.3                          Vendor:
> MandrakeSoft Release     : 0.20022312.1mdk               Build Date:
> Thu Dec 26 14:38:55 2002 Install date: (not installed)
> Build Host: hp6.mandrakesoft.com Group       : System/XFree86
>       Source RPM: (none)
> Size        : 56362749                         License: MIT
> Packager    : Frederic Lepied <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Using ATI Radeon 64DDR, resolution 1280x1024 using radeon driver.

Install new XFree, logout and restart x-server.
Computer resets. No error, no warning no nothing I simply find myself
watching the BIOS load.

I allow the system to load and boot to init 5 as normal but as soon as
any attempt is made to start X the system resets.

On a hunch I boot to init 3 and edit /etc/X86Config-4 disabling DRI.
I can now boot to X but no longer have 3d.
As a side effect of the bad shutdowns I found myself with screwed menus
and an unstarted eth0 which I had to fix.

    Charles

Interfere?  Of course we should interfere!  Always do what you're
best at, that's what I say.
                -- Doctor Who
Charles A Edwards
[EMAIL PROTECTED]